27 March 2008

Changing the past

I've always thought it's possible to change the past. This morning I've had evidence of that.

I used my experience of last night to introduce a workshop on Experiential Diversity - it set the scene perfectly. Then I had a very constructive conversation with Liz Nelson, Development Manager of the Skoll Center at Oxford, about access at this and future World Forums. In the space of two hours, last night seems more like an experience of exploration and opportunity than of disrespect and disempowerment. Using the past constructively myself as an example of the need for change and the prompt and positive response of Forum management have effectively changed my experience of last night.

I think it is useful to remember this phenomenon - we can't change the events of the past, but we can change our experience of it and its impact on the future, by acting constructively in the present and future. We also create a better past by intentionally constructing the present and future.

Thanks to Liz, vivian and others for their supportive responses.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I learnt of your lock-out experience at Oxford from Red's site and was just going to send a note that my heart went out over your discouraged tone. It struck a few chords, and I was thinking about what to say to you halfway across the world to recognize your dispair, but also just kinda put it gently that fancy thinktanks, are just fancy thinktanks, and your whole self-value just does not depend on ...... um, if I continued, I'd just end up writing pretty graphically about how others have inverted things stuck up in awkward places indeed. In an environment where the explicit approach is supposedly one of understanding, what you found was tough - I'm glad you dusted off and turned the situation around - it at first didn't sound like you'd be open to doing so. Hell, I also read further down in your blog too, and when you talk of expression being the link between internal and external experiences, and I'm kinda wondering where have you been? You artsy types have all the luck! I just ended up in a psych ward when going through all that type of thinking, instead. And afterwards, I thought I must've been just crazy. Years on, and I've learnt to grow from what I know, and not give a flying f'k if others get it. It's worth too much to spend it tryna get every Tom, Dick and Harriot to listen. Some are just too upset, I get too upset and we're all with our own barrows to push. Strength under one's own belt becomes enough, I think. I'm actually not suprised that things geared up to promote social understanding, always leave someone out - but then, it all gets worked through. It's just the process that happens at the time which is a bit of a bastard. xpression is always gonna carry a bit of noise, and this information metaphor can only go so far because in information theory, there is no such thing as trust. Trust is what is needed, when expressions fail, and rambling old acquaintances need to shut-up! Enjoy the rest of your trip.
kay

Anonymous said...

Hey Philip! Great to see you're already having an impact abroad, and getting people thinking, as always. Keep smiling mate - Dylan x

© 2008 Philip Patston & Diversity New Zealand Ltd (unless quoted or otherwise attributed). All rights reserved.