29 March 2008

Changing the past - Part 2

I've been asked for more information about the result of my meeting with Skoll management about wheelchair access: "What action has been taken and is everybody at the conference now educated from that moment of opportunity and enlightenment? Or was it a one to one hushed apology on the sidelines and we’re now all buddy buddy?"

Well no, a public announcement was not made and in the circumstances I personally would not have wanted that to happen. The issue was one of communication more than lack of access. In both venues there was access provision made - the problem was lack of communication among staff that this existed and a lack of "logistics training" should it be needed. Management acknowledged this oversight and have undertaken to create a process to address this next year. I think further public humiliation (over and above ours that evening) would not have been constructive.

The action taken in the short term was a concerted effort to ensure ease of access into and around the offending environments. This was done professionally and courteously. I have trust that I've built a relationship with management that is appropriate to revisit the extreme access issues as well as raise other issues of ease and comfort not yet canvassed.

So there, I'm getting moderate and conciliatory in my old age!

No comments:

© 2008 Philip Patston & Diversity New Zealand Ltd (unless quoted or otherwise attributed). All rights reserved.